Woman treated after elevated levels of carbon monoxide detected in apartment

Print Friendly, PDF & Email


MANCHESTER, NH – A woman was treated for carbon monoxide poisoning Wednesday after an ambulance crew responded to a call for a woman who had fainted and was feeling ill.


At about 8:30 a.m. on Dec. 13 AMR ambulance was dispatched to 385 Huse Road in the Park View Hills Condominiums where a woman had passed out. Rescuers suspected the presence of carbon monoxide (CO) in the patient’s apartment. Manchester Fire Department was summoned to assist with patient care and to address the presence of CO. Crews monitored the apartment as well as the entire 30-plus unit building and discovered elevated levels of CO in the apartment of the patient. Fire crews were able to pinpoint the cause of the CO to a malfunctioning stove/oven in the victim’s apartment.

The woman was transported to a local hospital with elevated levels of CO in her bloodstream.

District Chief Michael Gamache said this incident serves as a timely reminder to everyone to have working CO detectors in place.

“CO is odorless and can kill you if its presence goes undetected. Call 911 if you suspect CO in your home,” Gamache said.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas produced by burning gas, wood, propane, charcoal or other fuel. Improperly ventilated appliances and engines, particularly in a tightly sealed or enclosed space, may allow carbon monoxide to accumulate to dangerous levels.

Signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning may include:

  • Dull headache
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Shortness of breath
  • Confusion
  • Blurred vision
  • Loss of consciousness

Support Local News! Send Money!