MANCHESTER, NH – A news report out of Massachusetts March 5 indicating that a suicide pact was going around social media among high school students in Manchester is unfounded, says Manchester School District Superintendent Dr. Debra Livingston.
“Today a suicide threat posted on Facebook by a Massachusetts high school student was brought to the attention of Manchester police and school officials. The Winthrop, Mass., Police Department indicated that students in Manchester were involved in a suicide pact described in the Facebook post, along with a threat against a school, but further investigation revealed the information to be false,” said Livingston in a statement issued Thursday. “No students from Manchester were involved, nor was there a threat against any Manchester school.”
Earlier Thursday media reports had been circulating that a so-called suicide pact was circulating among students in Winthrop, Tewksbury and Woburn, Mass., as well as Manchester.
A report by FOX/ABC said a female student at Winthrop High School was taken into police custody near the school Thursday afternoon.
WCVB out of Boston reported police activity in Tewksbury and Winthrop, which initiated a “hold in place” order in Tewksbury. According to the report a female student posted a comment on Facebook saying she wanted to “get two guns” and “make a suicide pact,” Tweksbury Police said.
According to police another female Winthrop student responded to the comment by saying, “Can we shoot up schools first (though)?”
You’re one click away! Sign up for our free eNewsletter and never miss another thing.