Penacook Street fire caused by rubber boots too close to electric heater

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Fire crews attack a fire that re-ignited at 41 Penacook Street on March 5.
Fire crews attack a fire that re-ignited at 41 Penacook Street on March 5.

MANCHESTER, NH – An early morning fire March 5 at 41 Penacook St. was ignited by a pair of rubber boots drying next to a space heater in an upstairs bathroom, fire officials concluded.

The fire, which was initially reported just before 6:30 a.m. reignited two hours later when fire crews, still at the scene, saw smoke emanating from the roof.

Upon arrival fire crews initiated an aggressive interior attack of the blaze to control it in about 35 minutes. Crews then renewed their efforts when the second blaze was discovered, working from the exterior of the building to fully extinguish the fire.

Chief James Burkush said the fire resurfaced due to hot spots trapped in void areas of the roof, unique to the construction of the building.

Four apartments were left uninhabitable. Fire officials estimated the total damage exceeds $150,000.

Red Cross relief workers were assisting the displaced residents, Burkush said.


email boxYou’re one click away! Sign up for our free eNewsletter and never miss another thing.

About Carol Robidoux 5452 Articles
Journalist and editor of ManchesterInkLink.com, a hyperlocal news and information site for Manchester, NH.