MANCHESTER, NH – Yorgo Foods Inc. of Manchester, is recalling select varieties of Hommus and Baba Ghannouj, because they have the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
The recalled products were distributed at retail stores in NY and NJ.
The following products come in an 8 ounce (227g), clear plastic package marked with SELL BY: JAN 05 2018 TH on the side of the cup:
- Yorgo’s FOODS Original Hommus – UPC: 7 56248 10002 5
- Yorgo’s FOODS Garlic Hommus – UPC: 7 56248 10015 5
- Yorgo’s FOODS Green Olive Hommus – UPC: 7 56248 10032 2
- Yorgo’s FOODS Spinach & Artichoke Hommus – UPC: 7 56248 10067 4
- Yorgo’s FOODS Roasted Red Pepper Hommus – UPC: 7 56248 10016 2
- Yorgo’s FOODS Lemon Hommus – UPC: 7 56248 10018 6
The following products come in a 16 ounce (454g), clear plastic package marked with SELL BY: JAN 05 2018 TH and SELL BY: JAN 05 2018 F:
- Yorgo’s FOODS Original Hommus – UPC: 7 56248 10005 6
- Yorgo’s FOODS Roasted Red Pepper – UPC: 7 56248 10017 9
- Yorgo’s FOODS Baba Ghannouj – UPC: 7 56248 10006 3
- Yorgo’s FOODS Garlic Hommus – UPC: 7 56248 10014 8
No illnesses have been reported to date in connection with this problem.
Yorgo products are sold locally at:
- A-Market, Manchester
- Concord Co-op, Concord
- Green Grocer, Peterborough
- Harvester Market, Greenfield
- Maggies Market, Peterborough
- Roys Market, Peterborough
- Monadanok Co-op Keene
- On the Vine – Exeter
- Phillbricks, Portsmouth
- Hannafords Manchester
- Hannafords Bedford
- Hannafords Derry
- Hannafords Durham
This issue was identified after FDA environmental sampling identified Listeria monocytogenes in the processing environment. The production of the products have been suspended while FDA and the company continue to investigate the source of the problem.
Consumers who have purchased the effected hommus are urged to return them to the place of purchase for a full refund.
Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1-603-624-5830, M-F 9am- 4 pm