Trash can fire ignites apartment, forces evacuation of 7 from Pearl Street residence

Print Friendly
File photo
File photo

MANCHESTER, NH –  Seven people were temporarily displaced early Sunday morning following a fire at 396 Pearl St.

At just about 4 a.m. the first-floor occupants of the two-family home were awakened by the smell of smoke and discovered a fire outside the rear of their home, which had extended to the residence and was filling the living areas with smoke.

Three adults and one child from the first floor apartment and one adult and two children from the second-floor apartment got out unharmed before firefighters arrived.

Firefighters from the Mammoth Road station quickly knocked down the exterior fire while additional crews searched for occupants and opened up the walls to extinguish the remaining fire. All tenants were allowed back into their apartments after being displaced for about an hour.

District Chief Michael Gamache estimated damage at about $10,000.

He said the fire originated in a trash tote stored next to the building. The fire remains under investigation.


email boxYou’re one click away! Sign up for our free eNewsletter and never miss another thing.

About Carol Robidoux 5126 Articles
Journalist and editor of ManchesterInkLink.com, a hyperlocal news and information site for Manchester, NH.