Fire consumes Harrison Street apartment house, 8 residents, 4 pets rescued

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
photoManchester Firefighters battle the Jan. 16 Harrison Street fire. Photo credit: Dave Stewart/MassFirePics
Manchester Firefighters battle the Jan. 16 Harrison Street fire. Photo credit: Dave Stewart/MassFirePics

MANCHESTER, NH – A late-night fire destroyed a Harrison Street apartment complex, displacing 8 residents and four pets. One occupant was rescued from a second-story apartment, and fire crews had to contend with high winds and frigid temperatures, which made for hazardous conditions while attacking the blaze.

According to fire officials, Manchester Fire crews responded to multiple calls for a building fire at 99 Harrison St. just after 11 p.m. Truck-1 reported fire showing on arrival from the second-floor porch area of a large occupied 2.5-story wood-frame home. Firefighters stretched numerous hand lines and went into search and rescue mode. One occupant was rescued via ground ladder from the rear on the 2nd floor.

Fire was found on the second and third floors, extending into the attic and roof.  A second alarm was transmitted by Car-1 and once heavy fire was venting from the attic/roof area, fire fighters evacuated and continued an exterior attack at just about the same time the second alarm was struck.

Firefighters battled the blaze under windy conditions with a temperature of 11 degrees with a wind chill of -6 degrees, which made for slick conditions on the ground. It
took firefighters about two hours to bring the fire under control.

Rescue 1 and Truck 1 completed a primary search and assisted several of the eight tenants from the building, including rescuing one tenant from a second-floor apartment. Firefighters were also able to rescue three cats and one dog, according to Manchester District Fire Chief Al Poulin.

Fire consumed the third floor attic area and complete roof structure according to Poulin, who said a third alarm was called for additional resources and manpower to combat the extreme cold temperature and freezing conditions of the equipment and ground.

The building, owned by Manchester-based Elm Grove Property Management, sustained heavy fire damage, estimated at $300,000,Poulin said.


 

Photo gallery by Dave Stewart/MassFirePics

About Carol Robidoux 5451 Articles
Journalist and editor of ManchesterInkLink.com, a hyperlocal news and information site for Manchester, NH.