MANCHESTER, NH – An early morning fire on Brook Street forced an evacuation at 103 Brook Street. No injuries were reported.
At about 4:30 a.m. several 911 calls came in for the fire, at the corner of Union and Brook streets. Engine 5 was first to arrive and found smoke showing from a basement. The building is a five-unit multi-family building was occupied by six people who all were able to get out without injury.
Due to the size of the building a second alarm was called. The incident was declared under control at 5:30 a.m.
According to District Chief Mark Pelletier, fire crews had to crawl through heavy smoke throughout building upon arrival. The estimated damage to the building is $60,000.
A total of 10 occupants will be displaced due to electrical and gas service being disconnected by the utility companies. There was extensive damage to the first floor bedroom above the basement due to the search for hot spots.
The preliminary investigation points to a possible electrical problem pending further investigation by the Manchester Fire Marshal’s Office.
Manchester Fire Chief James Burkush talks about the Brook Street Fire. Credit/Jeff Hastings