West Side stand-off with city bear ends peacefully

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Bear looking for a way out, up in a West Side tree Monday morning. Photo/Jeffrey Hastings

Rundown on rescue of bear from West Side neighborhood in Manchester, NH from Carol Robidoux on Vimeo.

UPDATE: 12 p.m. The bear has landed. Manchester police released the following video just around noon on Monday, showing Fish & Game officials preparing the net. Stay tuned for more photos and video. See police statement below video:

UPDATE 12:45 p.m.: Manchester Police responded to Saint Marie’s Child Care Center at 7:30 a.m. Monday for a call involving a sleeping bear. The young bear was spotted on a tree limb inside of the childcare playground.

New Hampshire Fish and Game Conservation Officer Chris McKee responded to the scene and eventually captured the bear. The bear, which weighed about 115 pounds, was safely transported to the Lakes Region area of the State so it can thrive in the wild.

Conservation officers were able to subdue the not so elusive bear (with a tranquilizer) before he was transported out of the Queen City around 10:45 a.m. A State of New Hampshire biologist assisted in the capture and relocation of the young bear, who is estimated to be 1 to 2 years old.





Bear in a tree in Manchester NH from Carol Robidoux on Vimeo.

NH Fish and Game conservation officers get nets ready. MPD

UPDATES: 10:15 a.m. Fish and Game conservation officers arrived with nets, according to police.

As of 9:45 a.m. police remain on the scene, working with a NH Fish and Game animal biologist to determine the safest way to get the bear down from the tree.

Fish and Game conservation officers arrived with nets, according to police.

May 7: A bear was spotted in a tree on Notre Dame Avenue. Photo/MPD

MANCHESTER, NH – (Original post begins here) Manchester Police are on the scene of a bear sighting on the city’s West Side.

According to Lt. Brian O’Keefe, who sent out a public notice at about 8:15 a.m. on May 7, the bear is in a tree near Notre Dame Avenue and Wayne Street.

The public is being asked to avoid the area as police await conservation officers from NH Fish and Game to assist.