Wilson Street apartment house evacuated, fire caused by careless smoking

Sign Up For Our FREE Daily eNews!

Fire crews respond to 210 Wilson Street on June 10 for a fire. Photo/Jeffrey Hasting/Frame of Mind Photo

MANCHESTER, NH – Fire crews responded to a fire at an apartment building at 210 Wilson St. on Monday.

A full box assignment went out at 3:31 p.m. consisting of 4 engines, 2 ladders, 1 rescue and 1 district chief. According to District Chief Mike Gamache there was only 1 ladder truck available to respond to this fire as the only other one in service in the city Monday was tied up on another call. The second ladder eventually responded but was delayed by eight minutes.

Fire crews arrived on scene two minutes after dispatch and encountered fire venting through a second-floor window on the south side of this building. The building contains 12 units and most residents did not evacuate prior to Manchester Fire Department arrival. Initial crews were tasked with evacuating residents, (some of whom were handicapped) along with simultaneously fighting the fire. Crews were able to contain the fire to a bedroom on the second floor.

No injuiries were reported.

The large multi-tenement 12-unit building was a challenge to evacuate with the limited crews, Gamache said. One family has been displaced and is being assisted with temporary housing by the Red Cross.

Initial investigation determined the fire was accidental due to the careless disposal of smoking materials.

Estimated loss is $10,000.