Teen with gun and ammo arrested during ‘hot spot’ patrol

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

MANCHESTER, NH – Officer Derek Cataldo was patrolling a crime “hot spot” at about 5:35 p.m. Oct. 20 in the area of Union and Merrimack streets when he observed a 2000 Honda Accord parked on the north side of Merrimack Street. He observed a lone male occupant seated in the driver side of the vehicle.

He drove past the man and circled the block so he could position his cruiser to see if the man was there for legitimate purposes. He watched him for several minutes before approaching his vehicle. Officer Cataldo began conversing with the operator, identified as Connor Deleire, 18 of Hampton Falls, and noticed he was physically shaking while speaking with the officer.

Deleire provided an identification to the officer and attempted to provide a legitimate reason for being in the area. He told the officer that he was waiting for a friend, who was never located.

Officer Cataldo felt Deleire was not in the city for legitimate purposes and asked him to step from the vehicle. Deleire stepped out of the vehicle as Officer Ryan Heile arrived on scene. Officer Cataldo observed a holstered Beretta 9mm as Deleire stepped from the vehicle, so he removed it and placed it safely inside of the car while he spoke with Deleire.

The gun was registered to Deleire, police said.

Deleire grew agitated and stated he was not allowing a search of his person or property. The officer advised him he was conducting a pat down search to ensure the safety of both officers. While doing so, he felt an object inside of his left front pocket that he believed to be a gun magazine. Deleire began to pull away and forced his own hand inside of his pocket prompting the officer to forcefully pull his hand from his pocket. He pulled out several items to include the fully loaded gun magazine. The officer attempted to calm him down and again advised him that he was conducting the pat down search for his own safety.

Deleire remained agitated and after dropping the gun magazine and other assorted items on the roof of his vehicle, he began thrashing back and forth. Officer Cataldo stated he was under arrest for resisting arrest/detention, so Deleire began fighting with him and Officer Heile. Additional units arrived on scene to help subdue Deleire, who was described by police as combative.

The four officers used pepper spray and a Taser to finally handcuff Deleire, who was transitioned to the ground by police before being handcuffed. He was taken into custody and transported to police headquarters where he was charged with resisting arrest/detention.

He was released on $1,000 personal recognizance bail and is scheduled to appear in the 9th Circuit Court-Manchester on November 24, 2015. The officers were not injured, but Deleire received facial abrasions as a result of being transitioned to the ground.

Manchester’s crime hot spots are mapped based on data generated by predictive crime technology.


You’re one click away! Sign up for our free eNewsletter and email boxnever miss another thing

About Carol Robidoux 6096 Articles
Longtime NH journalist and publisher of ManchesterInkLink.com. Loves R&B, German beer, and the Queen City!