Summer Street apartment fire due to careless smoking

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

 

Firefighter at the scene of a fire on Summer Street. Photo/Jeffrey Hastings

MANCHESTER, NH — An apartment fire Saturday on Summer Street displaced seven people.

The fire at 735 Summer St. was reported at 2:14 p.m. on July 7. Manchester Fire Department responded to find fire showing on the rear second-floor porches extending into the third-floor and attic area. Crews quickly knocked down the fire and extensive overhaul of the second and third floors was conducted.


Three of four units sustained fire, smoke and water damage. Seven occupants were displace and will be staying with friends or family.

The fire appeared to start on the second floor porches due to improper disposal of smoking materials. Firefighters did an outstanding job extinguishing the fire quickly and confining it to the rear section of the building, according to District Fire Chief Hank Martineau.

Damage to the building is estimated at $35,000.