Smoke alarm credited with saving homeowner’s life in South Mammoth Road fire

Sign Up For Our FREE Daily eNews!

MANCHESTER, NH – No injuries were reported following a basement fire at a residence on South Mammoth Road early Tuesday morning, in which fire officials say working smoke alarms likely saved the homeowner’s life.

Crews were dispatched to 875 South Mammoth Road just after 2 a.m. after the sole occupant of the home reported the blaze. According to District Chief Mike Gamache, the homeowner was awakened by the smoke detectors sounding to find smoke filling the home. She exited the home before fire crews arrived.

Crews did a search of the residence and began to extinguish the fire, which originated in the unfinished basement. Fire consumed the basement and advanced to the first floor before crews could fully extinguish the blaze. 

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental and appears to have been caused by a defective hot water heater. Damage to the home was estimated at $75,000, according to Gamache.



About this Author


Manchester Fire Department

The mission of the Manchester Fire Department is to provide the City of Manchester with superior customer service and integrated emergency response to any situation that threatens the life, safety and well-being of people and property.