Transcendental Dad
Point of View

You have always been my sunshine: Reflections on the past, learning to live in the present

This time of the year, the couple days before new year, hits different for me since Little Bean was born. I’ve never written in detail about those days when she was born, and I won’t now. I suspect I never really will – the irony of not writing about one of the most frightening events in my life and writing a parenting and family column at the same time does not escape me. READ MORE

Screenshot 2021 05 30 4.27.54 PM 336x454 1
Point of View

My fear leader

Finally, as she always does, my wife became the voice of reason, pointing out that based on some old pictures of me as a kid on Halloween, I wasn’t exactly putting on a trick-or-treating Masterclass. There are pictures of me as a magician. As Daniel Boone, of course. As Casper the Friendly Ghost. As Batman, of course. READ MORE

Screenshot 2021 05 30 4.27.54 PM 336x454 1
Point of View

Nothing is really little, not even a mermaid

My daughter has always leaned more toward outdoorsy pursuits, getting her hair muddy as she studies tadpoles for example. But Theatre Camp has provided a new and surprising sort of challenge. Words, and song. The fact that it’s the Little Mermaid helps, but memorization is a different sort of pursuit than, say, fishing or hiking. Putting on a half-hour theatrical show with a dozen second- and third-graders, and doing it in one week, seems to me, to be far more challenging. READ MORE

353788305 3563372157224558 1603425620423050652 n
Point of View

Our Idiot Dog

He could choose, for example, to simply show us that he found a dead chipmunk. Instead, he chooses to eat it, damn the resulting upchucking that comes later. Then, once he’s realized that eating a dead chipmunk makes him sick, he could choose – based on past experience – to not eat that new dead chipmunk he found. But again, that’s asking too much. He will likely eat ALL the dead chipmunks regardless of the outcome. READ MORE