IMG 5040
Point of View

Corey’s Closet to host special 1980s prom May 11

Big hair and leg warmers. Hooksett thrift store Corey’s Closet is hosting a 1980s prom for special needs teens and adults on Saturday May 11 at Manchester’s Puritan Event Center from 5:30 to 10:30. Tickets are available at the 1329 Hooksett Road store. The prom tickets are $50 and include a buffet. The event benefits Camp Fatima, a Gilmanton Iron Works summer camp that hosts a pair of two-week sessions for people of varying abilities, Corey among them. READ MORE

NOCAm
Point of View

Fine Feathered Friends: Tips on how you can help birds

The North American bird population declined by three billion birds between 1970 and 2020 scientists say. Researchers working in a protected forest in New Hampshire found that the number of beetles there had fallen more than 80 percent since the mid-1970s, while the bugs’ diversity has dropped by nearly 40 percent. The staid New York Times noted an “insect Armageddon” with losses in the quintillions. Birds need insects. Georgetown University’s bird researcher and conservationist Dr. Peter Marra says, “You don’t publish a paper on the loss of three billion birds and go back to your day job.” READ MORE

IMG 4789
Point of View

Overheard in the bookstore

It has been lo, these many years since I bore the thousand insults of bookstore shoppers venturing my way. Spotting a plastic employee name badge is license for invective but it is no license for shared stupidity. I patrolled the aisles for three chain bookstores in the Manchester area over 15 years: the now-defunct Lauriat’s and Paperback Booksmith, and Barnes & Noble, known in some corners as Barney Noodles. READ MORE