Blank Electoral Map COVER PHOTO Brian Chicoine file
Civics

Why we need the electoral college

In an era of increasing polarization and bitterness in politics, the Electoral College plays a crucial role in encouraging candidates to build broad coalitions and engage with diverse communities across the nation. Rather than discarding this system, efforts should be focused on understanding and refining it to ensure that it continues to serve its foundational purpose of balancing diverse interests in a vast and varied republic. READ MORE

tiktok
Point of View

TikTok: Another ban in the name of protection

On March 13, the U.S. House of Representatives voted 352-65 to force the owners of TikTok to sell the app in six months or face a nationwide ban. (The good news is that the bill still has to pass the Senate and – if it does – will head to the President to sign). Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D – NY) has been noncommittal as to when he will schedule the bill for a floor vote. For those keeping score, the bill, (H.R. 7521 – officially called The Protecting Americans from Foreign Adversary Controlled Applications Act, was introduced by Rep. Mike Gallagher (R – WI).  READ MORE

Banned Books Week Graphic Credit Western Libraries Association
Point of View

Banning books to ‘protect children’

I recently read an article about a bill that was introduced, (and postponed – for this session anyway), to ban certain books in New Hampshire schools. Before I begin, I want to stress without a doubt that I am for protecting children. I believe that as a society we should be protecting the vulnerable and those who cannot speak for themselves. However, I do not believe that banning books is the way to do it. READ MORE

COVER PHOTO Music Staff pic Photo Credit PVProductions via FreePik
Point of View

Music is Life

The benefits of music are vast and varied, touching every aspect of human life. From enhancing cognitive abilities and emotional well-being to fostering social connections and improving physical health, music offers a universal language that speaks to the heart and mind in equal measure. READ MORE

Music Therapy can help with a range of medical conditions Photo Credit PVProductions via FreePik
Point of View

Music therapy as a tool 

There are many ways to treat mental health-related ailments. There is medicine, which can be harmful to the patient and others if incorrectly prescribed, (not to mention the potential harm on one’s body), there is traditional counseling, which is helpful and often aids the patient, and there are expressive therapies, which certainly help. READ MORE

AI ARTICLE MAIN PIC Photo Credit rawpixel.com via FreePic
Forward Focus

The AI revolution has arrived!

With the rapid development and all the talk surrounding Artificial Intelligence (AI), I wanted to write about the basics. I am still learning and am not a data scientist, but my hope is that I leave you with at least a basic understanding of AI, its history, and the desire to learn more. Because like it or not, AI is here and is already affecting our everyday lives.  READ MORE

161200382 113736714080900 5238295954425497383 n
Forward Focus

Shopping local this holiday season

The Christmas shopping season is here once again. I personally love finding a gift for the people on my list that is both meaningful and fits their personality, so quite enjoy the shopping element of the holiday. The gifts do not need to be large or expensive, they are simply gifts that are well thought out. I love finding that “one-of-a-kind” gift.  READ MORE