Roof collapses during 3-alarm fire on Rimmon Street, some pets perish

Sign Up For Our FREE Daily eNews!

All hands on deck for 3-alarm fire.
All hands on deck for 3-alarm fire.

 


MANCHESTER, NH – An early-morning fire Wednesday at 624 Rimmon St. that displaced six families was likely caused by improper disposal of smoking materials, fire officials said.

Although all 10 occupants escaped before the roof collapsed, several pets did not make it out of the building.

Rimmon Street fire.
Rimmon Street fire.

The three-alarm fire was reported Nov. 18 at about 1:15 a.m. after Manchester Officer David Labbe observed a large cloud of smoke in the area of Bremer Street while patrolling the area. He drove toward the smoke and located a building fire at 624 Rimmon St.

Seeing that the southwest corner of the building was fully engulfed in flames, Officer Labbe notified dispatch before entering the burning building, waking occupants on the first and second floors and then going back in and up to the third floor, “without regard for his own personal safety,” according to a police narrative of the event.

Also credited by police in evacuating residents was Raji Gupta, 39, of Manchester, who assisted Officer Labbe in the evacuation and carried two small children from the third floor apartment and out of harm’s way while Officer Labbe cleared the remaining third floor apartment. [story continues below photo gallery]

Gallery by Dave Stewart/Mass Fire Pics

Manchester Fire Department’s entire fleet, along with three ambulances, were dispatched to the three-story wood frame residence where firefighters found heavy fire coming from the third-floor porch and extending into the attic.

Due to the magnitude of the fire and potential for spreading, all off-duty fire personnel were called to the scene as the fire spread quickly through the open attic, collapsing the roof into the third-floor living space. The fire was declared “under control” by 4:15 a.m., and the scene was finally cleared by 6:38 a.m.

According to District Chief Richard McGahey, there were 10 residents at home when the fire started. Several pets were also rescued from the building and treated on scene by firefighters, however, some animals perished in the fire.

Damage to the building was estimated at $150-200,000.


email boxLike what you see? You’re one click away! Sign up for our free eNewsletter and never miss another thing.

 

About this Author

carol-robidoux

Carol Robidoux

PublisherManchester Ink Link

Longtime NH journalist and publisher of ManchesterInkLink.com. Loves R&B, German beer, and the Queen City!