Photo Gallery by Stacy Harrison
MANCHESTER, NH — More than 36 hours before President Trump was expected to take the stage at the SNHU Arena Thursday night, it began. A few handfuls of supporters set up camp to spend the night and reserve their primo seating for the Keep America Great rally.
By Thursday morning the crowd of boisterous Trump supporters had multiplied by the hundreds if not thousands and surrounded the venue. Tents were pitched, concession stands were erected, memorabilia was bought and sold, and pro-Trump signage was everywhere to be seen, with a vibe more in line with pregaming a Pats’ game or a rock concert, than a presidential rally.
Many chanted, “Build that wall,” and “four more years,” as media cameras and microphones took it all in.
Related Stories:
Due to the growing throng, Manchester Police decided at 12:30 p.m. to close traffic on Elm Street between Auburn Street and Lake Avenue earlier than announced.
“The line of people is growing and for everyone’s safety that area had to be shut down. There will be more closings throughout the afternoon, the majority starting at 2 p.m.,” police said via a Nixle alert.

Just before 3 p.m. police made their first arrest — a counter-demonstrator who refused to move away from the rally crowd to where fellow demonstrators were segregated just beyond the arena — was removed by police, said MPD spokeswoman Heather Hamel.
“Other than that, pretty calm,” Hamel said, describing the mood.
Fire Chief Dan Goonan said there had been no incidents that firefighters needed to respond to, so far.
A counter-demonstration organized by Rights & Democracy was scheduled to assemble around 4 p.m. across the street from the arena.

Reporter Pat Grossmith contributed to this story.














