Plot thickens, reward increased for Matthew Dion, wanted for murder of parents

Sign Up For Our FREE Daily eNews!

More information released as authorities track Matthew Dion to Florida.

Click through gallery for updated photos of Matthew Dion.

MANCHESTER, NH – The reward offered in the Matthew Thomas Dion fugitive investigation has increased to $10,000.  The U.S. Marshals Service previously offered a $5,000 reward for information leading to the location and arrest of Dion.  Metlife Insurance (through the victims’ estate’s attorney) has offered an additional $5,000 for information leading to an arson conviction.  The U.S. Marshals Service is seeking the assistance of the public in locating Dion who is considered armed and dangerous.  The Matthew Dion fugitive case is scheduled to be aired on CNN’s television show, The Hunt,” starring, John Walsh, in April of 2015.

Dion is being sought on both state and federal warrants.  Dion is wanted by the Manchester, NH Police Department on outstanding arrest warrants for two counts of second-degree murder, arson and possession of child pornography, all of which relate to the March 2014 arson fire and homicides of Dion’s adoptive parents, Robert and Constance Dion.

Shortly after the bodies of Robert and Constance Dion were discovered at their Mooresville Road home, the Manchester Police Department requested the assistance of the U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force in New Hampshire. The Task Force later petitioned for a federal arrest warrant through the U.S. District Court, District of New Hampshire. for the charge of unlawful flight to avoid prosecution, when it became clear that Dion had fled the state.

Recap of incidents since the March 24, 2014 fire

Matthew Dion, 39, was last known to reside on Mooresville Road in Manchester with the his father, Robert, 71, and Constance, 67.  On March 24, 2014, Manchester Police and Fire Departments responded to the Dion residence for the report of a fire and explosion which dislodged the home from its foundation and destroyed the residence.  After the fire was extinguished, the deceased bodies of Robert and Constance Dion were discovered within the residence.  Investigators ruled the deaths a homicide and found evidence that the victims were strangled several days before the arson fire.  Matthew Dion was nowhere to be found.

During the extensive crime scene investigation conducted by the Manchester Police Department, some materials belonging to Matthew Dion were discovered and determined to be child pornography, which led to the initial arrest warrant for Matthew Dion.  After additional investigation, Matthew Dion was charged with the homicides of both of his parents and the arson fire, which was set after the homicides.

Dion vanished immediately following fire.  Despite extensive efforts by local and federal authorities, Dion’s whereabouts remained unknown for several months.  Investigators speculated that Dion may have fled to the Atlanta, Ga., area, a location where Dion had lived and worked in the mid-90s to early 2000s.

The U.S. Marshal Service Fugitive Task Force worked closely with Manchester Police Detectives to identify friends and associates that Dion may have contacted while on the run.  It was discovered that Dion’s social circles were very limited.  Dion was a rather reclusive individual and he reportedly had struggled with depression and was known to have spent countless hours alone in his basement bedroom on Mooresville Road.

The fugitive investigation intensified in early September 2014 following several breaks in the case.  Information was developed that Dion contacted a longtime friend who had been identified by investigators.  Information garnered from Dion’s contact with his friend led investigators to a northern suburb of Atlanta but when members of the U.S. Marshals Service visited the area, they found that Dion had once again disappeared.

In mid-September a handwritten letter, which appeared to have been authored by Dion, was received by the New Hampshire Attorney General’s Office; this letter resulted in additional clues as to Dion’s travels, the envelope itself was postmarked out of Atlanta-Metro and dated September 10.  In both of the communications Dion alluded to being suicidal.

Following the arson fire on March 24, Manchester Police Investigators quickly determined that Dion was likely driving a White, 4-door Nissan Altima, registered to his parents.  The white Nissan Altima remained undetected for several months, until September 17, when the U.S. Marshal Service Task Force was notified that vehicle was located in St. Petersburg, FLA.  Through investigative work conducted by the U.S. Marshals in Florida, the Saint Petersburg Police Department, and the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office, it was determined that Dion had been living in St. Petersburg, for several months under the alias name of Cameron Rowell.  Sometime in late May or early June, Dion, who at the time was using the name Cameron, befriended a 19-year-old man and his girlfriend at a Taco Bus restaurant in St. Petersburg.  Dion reportedly appeared withdrawn and depressed and the couple engaged him in conversation.  Dion soon asked if he could use the WiFi (internet) at their residence and an agreement was made.  Dion reportedly proceeded to live out of his vehicle, parked outside the residence, where the 19-year-old resided with his mother.  After an unknown period of time, Dion developed a relationship with his friend’s mother, he became trusted by the family, and was allowed to utilize the residence to some extent.  During this time, the white Nissan Altima was kept off the road and out of sight from law enforcement.  Dion reportedly grew so comfortable in St. Petersburg that he began looking for an apartment.

Dion appears to have over stayed his welcome with the St. Petersburg family –  when the mother realized she was short several hundred dollars from her bank account, she suspected Dion was to blame.  On September 5, Dion, likely worried that the police would be called, fled the residence.  In doing so, Dion reportedly stole the woman’s 2013 Hyundai Elantra, color silver, 4DR, Florida registration: G673WH, (VIN: 5NPDH4AE8DH330229), a handgun, described as a .38 caliber Charter Arms, chrome colored revolver, and other items from the family.  The thefts, unfortunately, were not reported to the police for two days.  Dion’s original vehicle, the white Nissan Altima, was towed by a towing company on September 10, but did not come to the attention of law enforcement until September 17, when the towing company called Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office to perform a title search.  It was then determined that Dion had swapped license plates with another (similar) vehicle in Atlanta, presumably on his way to Florida.  The Georgia plates were affixed to the white Altima when it was towed.

The U.S. Marshals Task Force believes that Dion returned to the Atlanta, GA area after fleeing the St. Petersburg residence on September 5, 2014.  Dion is presumed to be operating the stolen silver 2013 Hyundai Elantra (FL registration: G673WH) – it is however highly likely that Dion will have swapped license plates with another vehicle.

Dion has taken significant steps to avoid detection by law enforcement and to conceal his identity,  a pattern of behavior that is sure to continue.  It is known to investigators that Dion changed his physical appearance shortly before fleeing from the Saint Petersburg residence.  Dion got a haircut and shaved his face.  Aspects of his physical appearance may continue to vary, however, Dion is known to have a small, but noticeable, horizontal scar located in the middle of his forehead and is described as having very bad teeth, almost black in color.

Dion is described as being highly intelligent.  He has strong computer skills and is known to fix computers for friends and associates, sometimes in exchange for money.  Dion is very talented on the piano, speaks French, and is very interested in art (art museums), photography, and music.  Dion smokes Camel cigarettes – normally smoking only half of the cigarette.  Dion may be in possession of stamps or postcards stolen from his deceased father’s collection and may attempt to sell or pawn these items, or other items that he may steal while on the run.  Dion is likely living in the stolen vehicle, and may seek remote locations to park this vehicle.  Dion may seek to utilize public WiFi connections at coffee shops, libraries or unsecure WiFi at residential locations.

The Marshals Fugitive Task Force, through their relationship with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC), requested a composite image of Dion be created to show him without facial hair.  Attached to this release, you will find several photographs showing different appearances and more detailed photographs of Dion.

Dion could be anywhere, but he has extensive history in the Southeastern United States, specifically the Atlanta, Georgia area and Florida.  It is important to remind the public that Dion is Armed & Dangerous, and not to attempt to apprehend Dion, but to report any information to the U.S. Marshals Service or their local police.  To speak with the case agents, Deputy U.S. Marshal Greg Murano or Task Force Officer Daniel Doherty,  please call the U.S. Marshals in NH at (603) 225-1632, or call 1-877-WANTED-2, or submit a WEB-TIP, or Send a Text message that begins with NHTIP followed by any information to TIP411.

Since the inception of the New Hampshire Joint Fugitive Task Force in 2002, these partnerships have resulted in over 5,801 arrests.   These arrests have ranged in seriousness from murder, assault, unregistered sex offenders, probation and parole violations and numerous other serious offenses.  Nationally the United States Marshals Service fugitive programs are carried out with local law enforcement in 94 district offices, 85 local fugitive task forces, 7 regional task forces, as well as a growing network of offices in foreign countries.


Subscribe Now and Never Miss Another Thing!

About this Author

Carol Robidoux

PublisherManchester Ink Link

Longtime NH journalist and publisher of Loves R&B, German beer, and the Queen City!