Harrowing pet rescue from Calef Road fire; cat, dog perish

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
File Photo

MANCHESTER, NH – A black lab and a cat perished in a fire Thursday on Calef Road sparked by a toaster oven that overheated, fire officials said. A third pet, a cat, was revived by firefighters at the scene.

At about 1 p.m. the first floor occupant of a 2-story, two-family home at 265 Calef Road smelled smoke. As she went outside to investigate she discovered flames coming from the south side of the second floor apartment window. She immediately called 911.

Upon arrival of the crew from station 9 on Calef Road, fire was venting from the second floor and was beginning to overtake the entire living area and had begun to extend into the attic. The crew from station 9 advanced a hose line up the stairs, entered the second-floor apartment where they encountered zero visibility and high heat conditions and began to extinguish the fire.

265 Calef Road
265 Calef Road

Subsequent arriving fire crews from other stations assisted the crew from station 9 in extinguishing the blaze in addition to conducting a search for occupants. No occupants were found but fire crews were able to rescue two cats and one dog, none of which were breathing as they were carried from the building.

CPR along with oxygen administration was delivered on these three pets by a combined effort from both MFD and AMR personnel. After several minutes of life-saving measures in the street, the two cats and one dog were transported in three separate emergency vehicles to the Veterinary Emergency Center of Manchester. After 40 minutes of life saving measures by fire and rescue personnel along with continued efforts from the Veterinarian and their staff, the dog succumbed to its injuries. One of the cats died several hours later.

The cause of the fire was a toaster oven that, through mechanical malfunction or human error, overheated with extension into material stored on top of it and the surrounding area, according to District Chief Michael Gamache,  who estimated damages at about $50,000.


email boxYou’re one click away! Sign up for our free eNewsletter and never miss another thing.

About Carol Robidoux 5451 Articles
Journalist and editor of ManchesterInkLink.com, a hyperlocal news and information site for Manchester, NH.