Packing up: City workers, police on site at encampment to enforce vacate order

Sign Up For Our FREE Daily eNews!

PXL 20230118 183445515 scaled
Dennis Higgins loads up his collection of bicycles. He said he doesn’t know where they will be taken. He has been living at the encampment for a few months. Photo/Carol Robidoux

MANCHESTER, NH – The city’s Department of Public works has delivered totes at the encampment as police begin the process of moving people from Manchester and Pine streets.

The city on Tuesday learned that it had prevailed in a court challenge to its vacate order by the ACLU, which allowed the city to follow through with dismantling the makeshift campsite of some 40 tents at the intersection of Manchester and Pine streets.

The encampment has grown in size and scope over the past few months. Recently members of the local business community have pressured the city to take action, citing disruption including the presence of trash, feces and hypodermic needles, as well as safety concerns and loss of business. A daycare center across the street announced it would be closing its doors in June and selling the building.

PXL 20230118 182448935 scaled
A man, left, gathers up belongings to transport in a seed spreader as a DPW truck parks next to a pile of discarded items for removal. Photo/Carol Robidoux

During last night’s Board of Aldermen meeting the city announced additional shelter options would soon be launched in two vacant buildings, at 39 Beech St., and the former bus depot on Canal Street, in addition to the state-owned Tirrell House, which will provide long-term shelter for women.

A gathering of advocates for the homeless were also present at the encampment Wednesday morning.

Dam Wright, who has at times embedded himself at the encampment, and speaks on their behalf at aldermanic meetings, said the tone was somber Tuesday.

“It’s been a safe space for a lot of people, ” he said.

Police have been kind and helpful, for the most part, he said.

He also said Police Chief Allen Aldenberg last night came by and let everyone know the they would begin breaking down the encampment at about 8 a.m.

Dennis Higgins, who has been living homeless in Manchester for about a year, was loading up his collection of bicycles Tuesday afternoon. He said he wasn’t sure where he was going to go next.

“There’s still a fight here,” Higgins said. He has been attending city meeting regularly and says he has tried to give voice to those who are not able to stand up for themselves.

PXL 20230118 182930476 scaled
Unclaimed tents and other items left behind at the encampment. Photo/Carol Robidoux



Subscribe Now and Never Miss Another Thing!

About this Author

Carol Robidoux

PublisherManchester Ink Link

Longtime NH journalist and publisher of Loves R&B, German beer, and the Queen City!