Officials: Notre Dame Ave. fire due to careless smoking

Print Friendly, PDF & Email


MANCHESTER, NH – A fire caused by careless smoking caused about $1,500 in damages to a home on Notre Dame Ave. Tuesday night.

Crews were dispatched to 164 Notre Dame Ave. at 9:35 p.m. on May 21.

A full box assignment consisting of four engines, two ladders, one rescue District Chief Mike Gamache were assigned to this incident.

The initial call came in from occupants of the first floor of the three-story/three-family tenement reporting smoke was coming from a wall. Fire crews arrived and discovered a smoldering fire in the first-floor wall. Crews opened up the wall to extinguish the fire before it could extend further throughout the structure.

According to District Chief Gamache, although the closest fire truck (Engine 6 on Amory Street) was unavailable to respond because they were on another call, the minimal damage can be attributed to a rapid response by fire crews, in addition to a quick notification by the tenants.

The cause of the fire was deemed accidental due to the careless disposal of smoking materials Estimated loss: $1,500