Officials: Fire on Ahern Street caused by child playing with lighter

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Screen Shot 2014-11-15 at 3.13.45 PMMANCHESTER, NH – A child hiding in a closet playing with a lighter sparked a fire Saturday on Ahern Street, leaving seven people displaced, causing $45,000 in damages and leaving the home uninhabitable.

According to a narrative of the Nov. 15 incident provided by fire officials:

Related story: After the fire, mom just thankful her children are safe

Just after noon four engines, two ladder trucks, and several rescue vehicles were dispatched to 62 Ahern Street for a fire in a second-floor bedroom.

The fire was deemed under control by 12:28 p.m., but caused extensive damage to the second floor as well as smoke and water damage throughout the first floor.Screen Shot 2014-11-15 at 3.11.24 PM

Fire crews conducted a search of the residence after initial reports came in that the occupants were inside, but that information was incorrect.

Seven people were displaced, including two adults and five children.

A quick knock-down of the fire by firefighters from E-9 on Calef Road prevented extension of the fire to the attached units on either side of the residence, officials said.

Damages are estimated at approximately $45,000.

The building is owned by Manchester Housing and Redevelopment Authority and was deemed uninhabitable.

The incident is under further investigation by the Manchester Fire Marshal’s Office and Manchester Police.

Support Local News! Send Money!

About Carol Robidoux 5853 Articles
Longtime NH journalist and publisher of Loves R&B, German beer, and the Queen City!