Monarchs Take First Loss of Season, 4-2, to Adirondack

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Josh Brown and Zac Larraza score their first professional points in loss

Aerial view of the action Oct. 25.
Aerial view of the action Oct. 25.

GLENS FALLS, NY – The Manchester Monarchs battled to the end, but couldn’t overcome two third- period goals, and fell 4-2 to the Adirondack Thunder Saturday night at the Glens Falls Civic Center in Glens Falls, N.Y.

The Monarchs (1-1-0-0) and Thunder (3-0-0-0) will play 14 more times this season, including the back end of the home-and-home series Sunday, Oct. 25 (3 p.m.) in Manchester.

The Thunder got on the board early in the first period, when Rob Bordson beat Monarchs goalie Michael Houser for his 3rd goal of the season.  Bordson took a pass from Louick Marcotte at the blue line, and fired a snap-shot from above the left face-off circle that beat Houser high glove side at 3:13.

Adirondack added to their lead at 3:41 in the second period.  Bordson dug the puck out from behind the Monarchs goal and slid a pass to Kyle Flanagan.  Flanagan then sifted through two Manchester defenders to the slot, and found Marcotte all alone on the right side of the net.  Marcotte made no mistake on his chance, beating Houser for the 2-0 lead.

Newcomer Josh Brown cut the lead in half for the Monarchs with his first professional goal at 10:52 in the second period.  Brown took a cross-ice pass from fellow rookie, Zac Larazza, and beat Adirondack goalie Ken Appleby through the five-hole, with Stefan Legein collecting the secondary assist on the play.

Michael Kirkpatrick pushed the Thunder lead back to two goals when he beat Houser high glove on a wrist-shot from the slot.  Houser made the initial save on a breakaway chance that lead to a delayed penalty being called.  With the extra attacker on the ice, Kirkpatrick took the loose puck and buried the puck at 3:30 in the third period.

The scoring continued for Adirondack when James Henry notched his first goal of the season at 4:19 in the third frame.  Henry took a rebound right on the doorstep and beat a down-and-out Houser.

Joey Diamond brought the Monarchs back to a two-goal deficit 5:44 into the third period.  Diamond camped in front of Appleby’s net, found the loose puck off a rebound, and swept the puck around the right leg of the Thunder goalie, marking his first goal of the season.

The Monarchs pulled Houser with 1:43 left in the game and put tremendous pressure on the Thunder, but Manchester couldn’t get closer with the extra attacker.

The Monarchs are back in action Sunday, Oct. 25, as they face the Adirondack Thunder at the the Jungle for a 3 p.m. face-off.


Josh Brown (1g) and Zac Larraza (1a) scored their first professional points in their first professional game

Brown and Tony Turgeon both dropped the gloves for the Monarchs, totaling three total fights in two games

The Monarchs are now 0-for-9 with the man advantage, but are 3-for-3 on the penalty kill

Matt Leitner (1a) and Joey Diamond (1g) scored for the second consecutive game

Support Local News! Send Money!

About Carol Robidoux 5854 Articles
Longtime NH journalist and publisher of Loves R&B, German beer, and the Queen City!