And… they’re off! Monarchs Silence Thunder 5-4 in Overtime

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Monarchs defending the goal.
Monarchs defending the goal on their way to a preseason win.

GLENS FALLS, N.Y.  — The Manchester Monarchs beat the Adirondack Thunder 5-4 in overtime on Saturday night at the Glens Falls Civic Center in Glens Falls, N.Y.

The Monarchs and Thunder will play again Sunday in Manchester.

Monarchs get their game face on.
Monarchs get their game faces on.

“I saw a high compete level,” head coach Rich Seeley said.  “I saw team toughness which I was really happy about.  We responded really well after giving up a goal by getting one right back.  All-in-all, it’s a good way to start.”

The Monarchs broke the ice at 10:46 of the first period when Derek Arnold fired a laser over the shoulder of Thunder goalie Ken Appleby.  Arnold took a stretch pass from Zac Larraza on the right wing, and on a mini 2-on-1, fired the puck past Appleby for the first goal of the night.

Adirondack answered back at 7:19 of the second period with a no-doubter by Alex Carrier.  Carrier had Monarchs goalie Steve Mastalerz down and out, and stuck the puck in the back of the net.

The tie didn’t hold for long, as Alex Roach put the Monarchs back on top 35 seconds later.  The goal wasn’t originally given as play continued despite the goal light going on.  After a minute or so, the referees stopped play and conferred with the goal judge to find out if the puck had gone in.  The referee pointed to the circle, and it was 2-1, unassisted.

Adirondack would fight back to even up the score shortly after.  Louick Marcotte had Mastalerz out of the net after making the original save, beating the diving goalie at 13:10 of the second period.

Suiting up for their first game of the preseason.
Suiting up for their first game of the preseason.

The back-and-forth game continued, as Joey Diamond again put the Monarchs on top, this time at 3-2.   After a scramble in front of the net, Diamond was able to locate the puck and send it home at 13:30 of the period.  There was some dispute to the goal again with the net being dislodged, but the referee made it clear the goal was good.

Adirondack would tie the game again just 91-seconds later.  Mads Eller took a turnover directly in front of the net and beat Mastalerz high stick side.

The Thunder took their first lead of the game at 17:09 in the second frame on a power play breakaway.  James Henry found space behind the Manchester defense, and finished on his chance.

Michael Boivin knotted the game back up at 6:43 of the third period.  After extended attacking-zone time on a power play, Boivin took a diagonal pass from Matt Leitner and wristed home his first goal of the preseason.

The game moved on to 3-on-3 overtime where chances came fast and furious.  Mastalerz made two big saves to keep the game going, and Alex Lintuniemi ended the game with a slap shot from the left circle on a 2-on-1 that trickled through Appleby.

The Monarchs are back on the ice tomorrow afternoon at 3:30 p.m., as they take on the Thunder again, this time at Sullivan Arena located on the campus of Saint Anselm College.

Click here for ticket information.

email boxYou’re one click away. Sign up for our free eNewsletter and never miss another thing.


Support Local News! Send Money!

About Carol Robidoux 5855 Articles
Longtime NH journalist and publisher of Loves R&B, German beer, and the Queen City!