Monarchs falter in first ECHL trip to Maine

Sign Up For Our FREE Daily eNews!

Manchester Monarchs.svgPORTLAND, MAINE – On the back of a wild third period, the Manchester Monarchs fell in their first ECHL trip to Portland, falling 4-3 to the Maine Mariners.

Manchester grabbed the lead just before the game’s six-minute mark thanks to Spencer Watson’s power play goal, holding that lead until deep into the second period when Drew Melanson’s second goal of the year tied things up for the Mariners.

Maine took the lead 5:23 into the third and went two up on the Monarchs with just under four minutes to play before Stephan Falkovsky quickly replied with his second goal of the year.

Falkovsky’s goal came shortly after the Monarchs went to six skaters, but the visitors would be unable to maintain enough pressure for a tying goal, as Antoine Waked slipped home an empty net goal to provide Maine a lead they would not relinquish.

Tony Cameranesi grabbed his fourth goal of the year within the game’s final minute to give the contest its final score line.

In total, the Monarchs ended the night with seven penalties, two short of their entire opening weekend in Brampton combined.

The Monarchs (2-2-0-1) now head home for a 7 p.m. Friday showdown with Worcester, followed by a chance for revenge against Maine at SNHU Arena at 6 p.m. on Saturday.

About this Author

Andrew Sylvia

Assistant EditorManchester Ink Link

Born and raised in the Granite State, Andrew Sylvia has written approximately 10,000 pieces over his career for outlets across Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Vermont. On top of that, he's a licensed notary and licensed to sell property, casualty and life insurance, he's been a USSF trained youth soccer and futsal referee for the past six years and he can name over 60 national flags in under 60 seconds according to that flag game app he has on his phone, which makes sense because he also has a bachelor's degree in geography (like Michael Jordan). He can also type over 100 words a minute on a good day.