In preparation for the upcoming primary election on September 11, 2018, we’ll be running down the who, what, where, and when in our weekly campaign round-up — the pre-game show for the state general election on November 6, 2018.
Congressional District 1
- Eddie Edwards (R) declined to participate in the August 16 Republican candidates debate because he refuses sign a pledge, committing public support for the eventual Republican nominee. An Edwards campaign press release stated that his opponent, Andy Sanborn, “has a past that is riddled with sexual misconduct allegations with State Senate interns, inappropriate interactions with State Senate staffers, and multiple public accounts of him bullying women in order to achieve political results.”
- Mindi Messmer (D) was endorsed as a Pledgemaker by Platform. “By taking the Pledge, lawmakers and candidates agree to make space for young women-identified, non-binary, gender non-conforming, and femme voices in the rooms where decisions about their bodies, lives, and futures are made,” the group writes.
- Terence O’Rourke (D) was endorsed by the Freethought Equality Fund (FEC) PAC, but refused their donation. He released a video relating his planned mission in Iraq that left three Iraqi soldiers dead, and he and his men left to pick up and sort the remains of his men.
- Chris Pappas (D) will march in the Londonderry Old Home Day parade on Saturday, and will appear at The Bookery, 844 Elm St., in Manchester, on Monday, August 20 at 5:30 p.m. He was endorsed by Planned Parenthood Action Fund, former NH House Speaker Terri Norelli, and Dudley Dudley.
- Andy Sanborn (R) was interviewed on WMUR. He released his first 30-second TV ad, which will run on with more than $50,000 behind it over the course of the next week. Sanborn said he will support Edwards if he wins the primary. “Andy Sanborn references a $160,000 settlement Edwards made after leaving as director of liquor law enforcement,” tweeted Kevin Landrigan of the Union Leader.
- Maura Sullivan (D) accused Pappas of hypocrisy (WMUR) in calling out her donations from Bain Capitol. A Pappas press release, citing OpenSecrets, said her in-state donations are 3.4 percent of her total.
- The Manchester Democratic Party will host a forum on August 30. The time and location have not been announced.
- WMUR-TV and the Union Leader will host a Democratic CD-1 debate Wednesday, Sept. 5, 7 p.m. Register.
- WMUR-TV and the Union Leade will host a Republican CD-1 debate Thursday, Sept. 6, 7 p.m. Register.
PLUG: CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT HOW TO JOIN OUR 2018 CITIZENS’ PANEL!
- Aaron Day spoke on NHPR with Libertarian candidate Jilletta Jarvis. He will speak at a movie showing in Nashua on Tuesday, August 21.
- Jilletta Jarvis (L) spoke on NHPR with Libertarian candidate Aaron Day.
- Molly Kelly (D) will tour the state’s largest solar array in Peterborough on August 17. She debated Steve Marchand at Dartmouth August 16. NHPR reviewed her record in the State Senate.
- Steve Marchand (D) was interviewed on NHPR’s The Exchange on August 14. He visited Villa Crest in Manchester.
- WMUR-TV and the Union Leader will host a Democratic gubernatorial debate Tuesday, Sept. 4, 7 p.m. Register.
Executive Council District 4
- Gray Chynoweth met with the Manchester Rotary on August 15. He will march in the Londonderry Old Home Day parade on Saturday, August 18.
- Garth Corriveau was endorsed by the State Employees’ Association of New Hampshire (SEIU1984) and by State Senator David Watters (D-04). He will be at a house party at 96 Eve St. on Sunday, August 19 at 4 p.m.
- Gray Chynoweth and Garth Corriveau appeared in a forum on August 9 at the Public Library recorded by Rights & Democracy (RaD) and co-sponsored by RaD and Manchester Ink Link.
- David Boutin (R-16) will attend the NHGOP roast of Governor Sununu on Thursday, August 30.
- Donna Soucy (D-18) – Soucy will headline the Annual Sweeney Post Kick-Off, 251 Maple Street on Monday, August 27 at 5:30 PM. RSVP
- The Manchester Young Democrats will launch canvassing for Jackie Chretian and Matt Wilhelm (Wards 1, 2, and 3), Iz Piedra (Ward 2), Josh Query (Ward 9, and Nicole Klein (Ward 4) on Saturday, August 18 at 10 a.m., location TBD, RSVP
- Democratic State Rep Candidates from Wards 3, 4, and 5 will host a Meet and Greet brunch at Madear’s, 175 Hanover St., Manchester, on Sunday, September 2 at 12 p.m. RSVP
Need to register to vote?
Are you campaigning for office?
We welcome your news for next week’s column. Send your campaign news and events to Laura Aronson.
ManchesterInkLink reaches more than 70,000 unique monthly visitors. Get the most bang for your political advertisement buck. Learn more here.