It’s TechWomen Ambassadors Week!
It’s no surprise to anyone working in tech that there aren’t a lot of women. In fact, a report from the National Center for Women & Information Technology cites a 2016 Bureau of Labor statistic that women only account for 25 percent of all tech workers in the United States. That’s abysmal.
Women make up 47 percent of the workforce, but only one in every four works in the one field that is guaranteed to continue growing.
All of the research suggests that girls are interested in studying technology when they reach 11 years old, then it drops off between 13 and 15 years old.
The data is all over the place when it comes to why, but anecdotal evidence suggests that the main reasons for this are:
- Lack of tech women mentors and role models
- Girls are actively discouraged in school from pursuing male-dominated fields
- There aren’t a lot of opportunities to participate in hands-on activities
The NH Tech Alliance and TechWomen are actively working to change that.
In addition to the monthly Tech Women Power Breakfast and annual Tech Women Lunch that provide professional and social support to women who work in STEM occupations, the organization hosts the weeklong TechWomen Ambassadors Week “to help young women explore careers in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM).”
This year’s event runs from Monday, November 12 – Friday, November 16 and will connect women working in STEM to 1,000 8th and 9th graders throughout the state.
- Timberlane High School (Friday, 11/9: 8:00 AM – 10:30 AM)
- Nashua North (Tuesday, 11/13: 8:00 AM – 9:45 AM)
- Belmont Middle School (Tuesday, 11/13: 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM)
- Winnisquam High School (Wednesday, 11/14: 12:00 PM – 2:00 PM)
- Farmington High School (Wednesday, 11/14: 8:00 AM – 10:00 AM)
- Merrimack Valley High School (Wednesday, 11/14:12:40 PM – 2:33 PM)
- Portsmouth Library (Thursday, 11/15: 3:30 PM – 5:30 PM)
- Pinkerton Academy (Thursday, 11/15: 8:00 AM – 11:00 AM)
- Manchester School of Technology (Thursday, 11/15: 8:15 AM – 10:00 AM)
- Lebanon High School (Thursday, 11/15: 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM)
- Bedford High School (Thursday, 11/15: 9:30 AM – 12:00 PM)
- Concord Regional Career Center (Friday, 11/16: 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM)
- Milford High School (Friday, 11/16: 12:00 AM – 2:00 PM)
- Hampton Academy (Friday, 11/16: 8:30 AM – 11:00 AM)
- Hollis Middle Brookline School (Friday, 11/16: 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM)
- White Mountain Community College (Friday, 11/16: 9:30 AM – 11:30 AM)
Does your creative, science or tech group have an event you’d like included in the Manchester STEAM calendar? Drop me a line. I can be reached at email@example.com.
This Week’s Creative, Science & Tech Events in Manchester, NH
Sunday, November 11, 2018
Tuesday, November 13, 2018
5:00 PM – 6:00 PM Poetry Out Loud Teacher Workshop, New Hampshire Institute of Art, Lowell Hall, 88 Lowell St. Manchester, NH
5:30 PM – 8:00 PM Cloud NH: November 2018 – Kubernetes and Cloud, BANK W Corp Office (ATG) 5 Bedford Farms Drive, Bedford, NH
5:30 PM – 8:30 PM BLS Provider CPR/AED (Manchester), Manchester Community College 1066 Front St., Manchester, NH
Wednesday, November 14, 2018
8:00 AM – 4:00 PM NH MEP: Fundamentals of Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing, Best Western Plus Executive Court Inn & Conference Center, 13500 S Willow St, Manchester, NH
8:00 AM – 4:30 PM 2018 NHNA Annual Meeting & Nursing Conference – Nashua, Dion Center, Rivier University 16 Clement Street Nashua, NH
6:00 PM – 8:00 PM November Meetup of the Queen City Sitecore User Group, SilverTech 196 Bridge St., Manchester, NH
Thursday, November 15, 2018
8:30 AM – 10:30 AM NH MEP: How to Grow Exports While Limiting Risks, Best Western 2500 South Willow Street, Manchester, NH
Friday, November 16, 2018
Saturday, November 17, 2018
1:00 PM – 3:00 PM NHWP Workshop: Become a Centurion: Strategies for Submission and Rejection, with R.W.W. Greene, Southern New Hampshire University, 2500 N River Rd, Hooksett, NH
The STEAM Roundup is a listing of creative & tech groups, upcoming workshops, and tech networking events in Manchester, Bedford, Hooksett, and Goffstown, New Hampshire. It includes creative and tech-focused groups, industry events, as well as free and paid talks and workshops on creative and tech topics.
For more information about upcoming creative and tech events please visit the Queen City Buzz NH STEAM Calendar
If you would like your event included in the calendar, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org — subject line “Tech Events”