Manchester Monarchs get Thunder-struck, fall 5-2

Print Friendly, PDF & Email


MANCHESTER, NH – The Manchester Monarchs couldn’t capitalize on two goals from Zac Larraza, falling to the Adirondack Thunder, 5-2, Sunday at the Verizon Wireless Arena.

The Monarchs (1-2-0-0) lost the weekend series to the Thunder (4-0-0-0), being outscored 9-4 over the two-game set.

“I thought we started out all right,” Head Coach Rich Seeley said.  “Our willingness to do the little things that win hockey games just wasn’t there tonight.  I think we did a lot of good things, but we get paid on results and didn’t get one.”

The first period was filled with multiple opportunities for both teams, but excellent goaltending kept the game scoreless.  The Monarchs peppered Thunder goaltender Kent Simpson all period, and were finally rewarded when Larraza scored the first goal of his professional career.  After Larazza took a pass from Derek Arnold, he toe-dragged the puck through his legs, and finished on the backhand at 18:07 in the first period.

The second period opened with four-on-four hockey as a result of matching penalties to Mads Eller and Matt MacKenzie.  Adirondack made the most of the open ice after a key face-off win by Greg Wolfe.  Joe Faust found the puck and fired a slap-shot past Monarchs goalie Colin Stevens at 4:27 of the second period.

Adirondack added to their lead when the Monarchs allowed their first power-play goal of the season 8:57 into the second period.  Louick Marcotte gained control of the puck on the boards, fought through several Monarchs defenders and beat Stevens high stick-side. The power play goal was Marcotte’s third of the season, and would give Adirondack a 2-1 lead heading into the third period.

Adirondack wasted little time finding the twine once the third period began. Ryan Lomberg camped out in front of the Monarchs net and was able to tip home a shot at 2:01 in the period, extending the Thunder lead to 3-1.

The Thunder continued to pour it on as Mathieu Brodeur lit the lamp at 7:47.  The Adirondack defenseman took advantage of another power play, and sent a snap-shot into the top left of Stevens’ net.

Manchester would cut into the Adirondack lead on Larazza’s second goal of the night, but wouldn’t get any closer.  Austin Block fired a slap shot from the left circle that found its way to Larraza, who made no mistake, burying the puck at the 11-minute mark.

Adirondack ended the scoring when Louick Marcotte gathered a rebound off the post, and sent home the final goal of the game just 1:31 after Larazza’s score.

The Monarchs are back in action Saturday, Oct. 31, when they travel to Elmira, N.Y. to take on the Jackals on Halloween Night.



  • The Monarchs surrendered their first power play goal of the season after a 4-for-4 start to the season
  • Zac Larazza scored his first professional goal, and now has 3 points (2g, 1a) in two games
  • The Monarchs struggles on the power play continued, as the team fell to 0-for-11 on the man-advantage
  • Gasper Kopitar and Troy Power made their season debuts in Sunday’s game

    email boxYou’re one click away! Sign up for our free eNewsletter and never miss another thing

About Carol Robidoux 5785 Articles
Journalist and editor of, a hyperlocal news and information site for Manchester, NH.