Judge holds Moura without bail, 2nd-degree murder charge stands

Sign Up For Our FREE Daily eNews!

Jeremy Winslow’s Jeep was towed from Auburn Street following the March 2 shooting that claimed the life of Tanya Hall. Photo/Jeffrey Hastings

MANCHESTER, NH – Justin Moura, the suspect in the shooting death of a Hudson woman,  will remain in jail until trial after a Superior Court judge ruled the state showed “clear and convincing evidence”  in charging him with second-degree murder.

Moura, 34, had argued on Tuesday in Hillsborough County Superior Court – North that the evidence didn’t support a reckless second-degree murder charge, which carries a sentence of up to life in prison on conviction.  He maintained the shooting was accidental.

Judge Amy Messer, however, disagreed.  She said the state provided evidence that Moura and Jeremy Roye Winslow,  34, of Manchester, the boyfriend of murder victim Tanya Hall, 34, of Hudson, had physical altercations both inside and outside Club Manchvegas the night Hall was shot.

At the hearing, the state showed a surveillance video of a Jeep in which Hall was a passenger and Moura running after it as it was driving away.

Justin Moura, accused of second-degree murder in the shooting death of Tanya Hall. Photo/Jeffrey Hastings

Moura, according to Messer’s order issued Wednesday morning, pulled out a loaded gun and “disengaged the safety mechanism” prior to the gun firing.  

Two days after the shooting, Moura went to the police station and told investigators he fired the gun that caused Hall’s death.  He then gave police the murder weapon, a  9 mm handgun.

“Considering the evidence presented and the reasonable inferences drawn from them, the Court finds that the State has met its burden to show by clear and convincing evidence that the proof is evident or the presumption great on the charge of second-degree murder and defendant shall be held without bail,” Messer wrote.

Murder victim Tanya Hall.

The shooting happened March 2 after Moura and Winslow had a fight — pushing, shoving and punching, according to testimony from lead investigator Detective Kevin Jusza  – on the dance floor of Club Manchvegas on Old Granite Street.

The two men had previous run-ins, investigators said.

Moura told police that after words were exchanged at the Jeep, he turned to walk away and Winslow yelled out the window, “I’ll kill you.”  Then, Winslow allegedly drove the Jeep towards him, knocking Moura to the ground.

Moura, who served as a U.S. Army infantryman, went into a “fight or flight” mode and pulled out his gun, his attorney maintained.  Moura ran after the Jeep but he slipped and the gun went off, he claims.

Winslow, at a bail hearing on charges unrelated to the shooting, had a different account of what happened.  His attorney said there was a “bump” inside the club that night and he had a choice to “fight or flee” and he chose the latter.  He maintained that three men from a gang called the BROS chased after the couple and were banging on the windows of his Jeep when he drove off and a gun was fired, shattering the passenger window of his Jeep and hitting Hall in the back, killing her.

About this Author


Pat Grossmith

Pat Grossmith is a freelance reporter.