Adoption Counselor Job Description
(Must Love Dogs… and cats and hamsters and rabbits and fish and ferrets… and people)
It will be the responsibility of the Adoption Counselor to assist the public with specific adoption service needs, answer questions and concerns and provide needed information when called upon. Individuals in this classification represent Friends of the Manchester Animal Shelter policies and procedures to the public and are expected to maintain a positive and receptive environment for those individuals visiting or calling the Friends of the Manchester Animal Shelter.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Greet and assist all customers entering the lobby.
2. Listen to customers and provide effective responses and remedies to their questions and needs.
3. Counsel potential adopters in selecting a pet that fits their lifestyle, discuss the responsibilities of pet ownership, show animals to prospective adopters during shelter open hours, give information about specific animals and explain the adoption process to shelter visitors.
4. Responsible for knowing which animals are available for adoption and knowing the temperaments and personalities of these pets.
5. Communicates principles that convey and impart an understanding of the policies and procedures of the Friends of the Manchester Animal Shelter to the public.
6. Must be committed to a high standard of safety and be willing and able to comply with all safety laws and all of the employer’s safety policies and rules and must be willing to report safety violations and potential safety violations to appropriate supervisory or management personnel.
Additional Duties and responsibilities:
1. Treats all animals humanely, with compassion and concern, both on and off the job and transmits these values to others.
2. Assists with tours as needed.
3. Answers all public telephone calls in a professional manner, routes inquiries to the proper person/department and initiates written messages for follow up.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Basic animal care knowledge. Preferred: Knowledge of domestic animals including breeds, behavior, appropriate care and housing and handling techniques.
2. Ability to read and comprehend instructions, short correspondence and memos.
3. Ability to write reports and correspondence.
4. Ability to effectively present information in one on one and small group situations to customers, clients and other employees of the organization.
5. Valid New Hampshire Drivers license with a clear driving record for at least one year prior to application.
6. Basic computer skills using standard office programs such as Word or similar programs.
Education and Experience:
• High school graduate or GED equivalent with 6 months related animal care experience and/or training.
• Must be in good health. Any allergic condition that would be aggravated from exposure or through contact with animals or chemicals used to sanitize facilities, vehicles or equipment, is a disqualification.
• Must stand, walk, bend and stoop frequently to perform duties. Have the ability to perform prolonged strenuous physical activity, including lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 40 pounds alone or up to 100 pounds with the help of fellow employees for short distances.
• May be exposed to hostile or abusive members of the public. Must be able to deal with an often times emotion-charged public and carry a fast paced and changing work load which at times can be stressful.
• By nature of the job, there is occasional exposure to injured, sick, and/or unruly animals.
• Must be available and willing to work such weekends, holidays, overtime, and attend mandatory training and meetings as the employer determines are necessary or desirable to meet its business needs.
490 Dunbarton Road
Manchester, NH 03105
Phone: (603) 628-3544
Fax: (603) 628-3624