Investigator: Seventh Street fire caused by pellet stove chimney

Sign Up For Our FREE Daily eNews!

Fire at 50 Seventh Avenue caused by a pellet stove chimney. Photo/Jeffrey Hastings

MANCHESTER, NH – The cause of a fire that injured four firefighters and devastated a residence on Seventh Avenue was caused by a chimney on a pellet stove, according to John Reese, Manchester’s Deputy Fire Marshal.

RELATED: 4 firefighters injured in Seventh Avenue fire

On Dec. 9 at approximately 1:05 p.m.  fire crews were dispatched to a fire at 50 Seventh Avenue. Heavy fire was encountered in the rear of the home. The fire went to two alarms, bringing additional city resources to the scene and mutual aid to cover in Manchester. The fire was declared under control in about 40 minutes.

During suppression of the fire an unanticipated ignition of the heated fuel gasses occurred on the second floor of the home. This rapid deterioration of conditions resulted in four firefighters being injured. Of the four, three were transported to Elliot Hospital via ambulance for treatment. All three were released from the hospital by late Sunday afternoon. They were all treated for burns and lacerations of varying severity.

The fire was reported by a neighbor. None of the residents were home at the time of the fire.

After complete and thorough origin and cause investigation, city fire marshals have determined that the fire was accidental, caused by a chimney from a pellet stove.

Estimated loss from the fire is approximately $150,000, and the residence is not inhabitable at this time.

Manchester Fire officials remind those operating pellet stoves to have your chimney and stove inspected and cleaned by a certified chimney sweep every fall just before heating season. Also, install and maintain working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms outside each sleeping room and on every level of the home.