Gun recovered after pair run from police; third man charged after picking fight with detective

Sign Up For Our FREE Daily eNews!

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 2.21.51 PM

MANCHESTER, NH – Three men were arrested March 23 by Manchester Police, two of them in connection with a foot pursuit, after police found them in possession of a rifle hidden inside a cardboard box. A third man was arrested after police say he bragged about urinating on a police car, and challenged a police detective to a fight.

Charged with resisting arrest were Jai McCoy, 18, and Eddie Gardner, 22, both of Manchester. Also charged with resisting arrest in an unrelated incident is James Trott, 24, also of Manchester.

According to a police narrative of events, Officer Derek Feather was patrolling Lincoln and Manchester streets in a marked police cruiser around 6:30 p.m. when he observed three men inside a gold Honda, which was parked outside of Hillsborough Market.


Officer Feather noted one of the men resembled a person of interest from a foot pursuit involving Officer Dan Golia last week, in the area of Pine and High streets.

Officer Feather watched the operator of the vehicle park the Honda in front of 315 Manchester St. He reversed direction with his cruiser and approached the vehicle as he watched the three men jump from the car and flee on foot. All three ran toward 371 Manchester St. One of the men was carrying a large cardboard box, so Officer Feather called in the foot pursuit and provided initial descriptions of the three men.


Officer Feather lost sight of the three as they ran in separate directions. Additional units arrived on scene to assist in setting up a perimeter. Officer Feather located McCoy in front of 324 Merrimack St. He was charged with resisitng arrest/detention and transported to police headquarters. He was released on $500 personal recognizance.

Detective Steve Flynn and Brian Attardo located Gardner minutes after McCoy was caught, in front of 374 Central St. Gardner opted to comply as the two officers approached him and was taken into custody without incident. He was also charged with resisting arrest/detention and released on $500 personal recognizance.

The third man was not located, but officers did find the large cardboard box behind 371 Manchester St. which contained a long rifle inside of the cardboard box. Officers continue to investigate in an attempt to determine the owner of the weapon. This is an active investigation and no one has yet been charged with possession of the weapon or falsifying physical evidence.

Detective Aaron Brown, who was in the area during the foot pursuit, noticed a man later identified as Trott, near a marked police cruiser. Trott caught Det. Brown’s  attention because of a comment he made to several onlookers. Detective Brown overheard Trott allegedly bragging that he had urinated on a “pig’s car.”


Det. Brown watched Trott walk toward a parking lot at 362 Merrimack St., so he parked his unmarked vehicle in the parking lot and called the officer about the potential criminal mischief to his unattended police cruiser. The officer checked the cruiser and stated nothing was amiss, so the detective was getting ready to leave the area.

Trott allegedly made another derogatory comment, this time toward Det. Brown while yelling and swearing at the plainclothes officer, who he allegedly recognized. Det. Brown  exited his unmarked vehicle and identified himself as a police officer. He advised Trott to refrain from swearing in front of other people, especially the children in the immediate area.

Trott refused and allegedly made a “fighting gesture” toward Det. Brown. Detective Brown immediately took hold of Trott and arrested him for disorderly conduct and violation of bail conditions. Trott appeared in the 9th Circuit Court on March 24, 2015.


email boxYou’re one click away! Sign up for our free eNewsletter and never miss another thing


About Carol Robidoux 6503 Articles
Longtime NH journalist and publisher of Loves R&B, German beer, and the Queen City!