Fire victim Jerry Crowley, 60: Vietnam Veteran, retired teacher and proud ‘pop-pop’

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Screenshot 2014-10-26 at 10.06.30 AMMANCHESTER, NH – Investigators from the New Hampshire Fire Marshal’s Office, the Manchester Fire Department and Manchester Police Department have determined that Jerome “Jerry” F. Crowley Jr., 60, perished in an accidental fire on Oct. 22 at his Amherst Street apartment due to a fire ignited by a lit cigarette, which Mr. Crowley was smoking when he fell asleep. Cause of his death was listed as smoke inhalation.

Mr. Crowley was born in Arlington, Mass., on September 21, 1954, the son of the late Jerome F. Crowley Sr. and Frances (Butler) Crowley.

He grew up on the North Shore of Massachusetts and was a graduate of Austin Prep in North Reading, Mass. He attended Saint Anselm College and The University of Massachusetts Lowell, and received his Master’s Degree at Boston University. He was a member of United States Army for 12 years and served during the Vietnam War.

He was stationed in Germany while in the service and stayed there for several years after, working as an English teacher. Also formerly of Fremont and Raymond, NH, Mr. Crowley was a resident of Manchester for the last six months. The light of his life was his beloved granddaughter, Sophia.

He is survived by two son’s, Danny Crowley and his wife Marta of Germany, and Jason Crowley of Germany; his granddaughter Sophia; two sisters, Judith Barker of Fremont, NH and Joan Williams of Hooksett, NH; his brother James Crowley of Coventry, RI; and several nieces and nephews.

Private services will be held at the convenience of the family. Brewitt Funeral Service, 9 Pleasant St., Epping, NH is assisting the family.

Support Local News! Send Money!

About Carol Robidoux 5854 Articles
Longtime NH journalist and publisher of Loves R&B, German beer, and the Queen City!