Fire on porch of historic Chandler House due to careless smoking, officials say

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

MANCHESTER, NH – Another accidental fire, another case of “careless disposal of smoking material,” according to Manchester fire officials.

At about 11:10 a.m. crews were dispatched to a report of a fire at 84 Bay St., which is occupied by Casinghino Law Office. It also has one occupied residential apartment, fire officials said.

Crews arrived to find fire on the third-floor porch had burned through the railing and was extending to the building through concealed spaces below the porch floorboards.

Iconic Chandler House on Bay Street, home to Casinghino Insurance, was damaged in a small porch fire Thursday.
Iconic Chandler House on Bay Street, home to Casinghino Insurance, was damaged in a small porch fire Thursday.

Firefighters had to open up the concealed spaces to get at the fire, which was under control within about 20 minutes.

The historic building, once known as the Chandler House, is more than a century old and, due to its construction, can often be quickly consumed by fire. The total estimated damage is about $10,000, according to District Chief Michael Gamache.

Two other recent fires, one on May 6 on Concord Street and another May 7 on Rockland Avenue , were also attributed to careless smoking according to fire officials.


email boxYou’re one click away! Sign up for our free eNewsletter and never miss another thing

About Carol Robidoux 5595 Articles

Journalist and editor of ManchesterInkLink.com, a hyperlocal news and information site for Manchester, NH.