Fire crew rescues man from second-floor bedroom on Pennsylvania Avenue

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
First-responders work to treat a man who was badly burned in a fire Thursday. Photo/Jeffrey Hastings

MANCHESTER, NH – A dramatic scene unfolded Thursday afternoon as fire crews raced into a burning house to rescue a 59-year-old man trapped inside a second-floor bedroom.

 
At 4:17 p.m. on Aug. 17, 2017,  fire crews responded to 244 Pennsylvania Ave. for a report of a fire with smoke in the building. Two children outside the home told firefighters that a man was trapped inside.
 
Smoke pouring from a second-floor bedroom at a residence on Pennsylvania Avenue. Photo/Jeffrey Hastings.

Rescue 1 from Merrimack Street Station arrived first, along with Engine 10 from Mammoth Road Station, and crews immediately entered the 2½-story wood frame home without a water line. Crew members made their way to a second-story bedroom where they encountered heavy fire and smoke conditions. They forced open the door and conducted a search, where they found the victim several feet beyond the door.

They carried the victim downstairs to the front lawn and provided medical attention – he had suffered critical burns over 80 percent of his body, according to District Fire Chief Alfred Poulin.

Meanwhile, Engine 10 advanced a line to extinguish the fire and checked for extension into the attic, along with Truck 1 and Engine 8 providing water supply.

The victim, whose name was not released, was taken to the Elliot Hospital. Chief Poulin described the man’s injuries as serious. The children were not injured.

Crews continued to work the blaze and knocked down the fire quickly. MFD Fire Investigators, MPD, and NH State Fire Marshal are on scene investigating the source of the fire, which Poulin said was contained to the bedroom.

 

About Carol Robidoux 5552 Articles
Journalist and editor of ManchesterInkLink.com, a hyperlocal news and information site for Manchester, NH.