Fire causes $500K in damage to SNHU dorm

Sign Up For Our FREE Daily eNews!

The scene at SNHU following a dorm fire. Photo/Jeffrey Hastings

MANCHESTER, NH — A fire Saturday night at Southern NH University caused an estimated half a million dollars in damages. 

According to District Chief Hank Martineau, the fire was reported at about 5:45 p.m. at Greeley Hall, a student dormitory. A total of eight engines, three ladder trucks, one rescue truck, and one ambulance responded to the two-alarm fire at 2500 River Road, and it took nearly three hours to declare the fire under control.

Companies arrived to find heavy smoke conditions at the roof line of the dormitory. Once inside, crews discovered that the fire was traveling throughout the building through void space between each floor. A second alarm was struck bringing more manpower for extensive overhaul of the building.

This fire was extremely labor intensive due to the size and construction of the building. Firefighters were forced to chase the fire throughout the northern half of the dormitory. Six of the 12 units sustained heavy fire, smoke and water damage. There were no injuries to civilians or firefighters.

Damage was estimated at $500,000.

About this Author

manchester-fire-department

Manchester Fire Department

The mission of the Manchester Fire Department is to provide the City of Manchester with superior customer service and integrated emergency response to any situation that threatens the life, safety and well-being of people and property.

Facebook