Faulty gas fireplace insert cause of blaze at Rosegate Farm home

Sign Up For Our FREE Daily eNews!

File photo
File photo

MANCHESTER, NH – A quick response by homeowners likely minimized what could have otherwise been a tragic outcome Saturday, after fire was discovered burning in the walls behind their natural gas fireplace.

According to Manchester District Fire Chief Michael Gamache, a call came in from 142 Rosegate Farm from Bill and Alexandra Bruttaniti  at about 11: 39 a.m. on Jan. 9, after they smelled smoke inside their home.

Site of Jan. 9 house fire.
Site of Jan. 9 house fire.

Fire crews arrived and noticed smoke coming out from around the sealed fireplace insert. They opened up and disassembled the fireplace, including the areas around it and found fire burning in the concealed spaces of the walls and garage ceiling adjacent to the fireplace insert, Gamache said.

Fire crews were able to quickly extinguish the exposed fire before it spread to other areas of the home. The fire filled the entire home with smoke and temporarily displaced the family of three for several hours.

No injuries were reported. Gamache estimated the damage at about $20,000.

Gamache said it appears the fire had been burning undetected for several hours and that any additional delay could have resulted in “significant greater loss of property and possibly life.”


email box

You’re one click away! Sign up for our free eNewsletter and never miss another thing

About this Author

carol-robidoux

Carol Robidoux

PublisherManchester Ink Link

Longtime NH journalist and publisher of ManchesterInkLink.com. Loves R&B, German beer, and the Queen City!