MANCHESTER, NH – A community conversation on refugee resettlement efforts as seen through the lens of Kathleen Kunath and Christoph Böhmer, German immigrant activists and cofounders of Willkommen in Falkensee (“Welcome to Falkensee”).
“Experiences from Germany” will take place March 12, 2018 at 6 p.m. at 5:30 p.m. at the SNHU Center for New Americans at the YWCA NH, 72 Concord St., in Manchester. Kunath and Böhmer will talk about successes and challenges in organizing a volunteer support group, and helping the local community welcome newly arrived refugees to their German town.
- Kathleen Kunath, a social worker, established an extensive communication effort to prepare the local German community for arrival of many refugees.
- Christoph Böhmer, a 1996 graduate of the Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College, applied his business background to the massive change in the community as hundreds of refugees sought resettlement.
Kunath and Böhmer say the basis of their work is founded on the following core values:
- Respecting the dignity of human beings, regardless of their social, religious, ethnic or national origin, as well as their sexual self-definition.
- We see diversity as an opportunity and an asset. We are non-partisan and not religiously bound.
- We work together in a spirit of trust. Openness, respect, and tolerance are important when meeting each other.
- We trust in open communication. Positive feedback as well as constructive criticism and critical feedback have their obvious place.
- We encourage and welcome initiative as it serves to create a welcoming culture.
- Solidarity, mutual give-and-take and relationships on equal footing are seen as prerequisites for an inclusive society.
This event is free and open to all. Space is limited – advance registration is strongly recommended. Please register here. Light refreshments will be served.
For more information, contact Gayle Aspinwall, email@example.com, 603-643-1551 or Becky Field, firstname.lastname@example.org, 603-568-3174 Experiences from Germany Monday, March 12, 2018 at 6 pm Light refreshments at 5:30 pm SNHU Center for New Americans at YWCA NH 72 Concord St., Manchester, NH