Dubuque Street bathroom fire due to careless smoking

Sign Up For Our FREE Daily eNews!

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
File Photo

MANCHESTER, NH – Fire crews were dispatched to 335 Dubuque St. on Jan. 17 at 7:38 p.m. for an automatic alarm. Upon arrival residents advised fire crews of a fire in a first floor bathroom. Fire crews entered the first-floor apartment and extinguished a fire in the bathroom that the residents had attempted to extinguish on their own.

The four-unit fully occupied apartment building was spared major damage due in part to an automatic alarm system coupled with a rapid response by fire crews. The closest engine company (Engine 6 from Amory Street station) is out of service due to mechanical issues. The crew from Amory Street (Truck 6) arrived several minutes after dispatch with their ladder truck. The first engine to arrive (Engine 11 water-carrying fire truck) came from Central station on Merrimack Street.

Locator Map

The cause of the fire was due to improper disposal of smoking materials, according to District Fire Chief Mike Gamach. Estimated damage is $1,500.

No injuries were reported.