MANCHESTER, NH – As the holiday season approaches, Manchester Police Chief Nick Willard would like to remind all residents and guests of the Queen City about some basic safety tips and guidelines to help reduce criminal behavior.
Manchester is a hub for holiday shopping and several thousand people are expected to come to the city daily to visit the Mall of New Hampshire and other retail outlets throughout the city.
The Community Policing Division will increase patrols at various retail locations and may be seen handing out “safety cards” which will list multiple safety and crime prevention tips.
To protect yourself, Manchester Police have issued the following tips:
- Keep retail items stored in the trunk of your vehicle and out of plain view
- Do not leave electronics, wallets or purses in your vehicle and always keep your vehicle locked
- You should plan to shop with others
- Park in a well lit area and avoid carrying large sums of cash
- Remember to keep your wallet and purse on your person at all times and keep it secured. Never leave it unattended
- Implement and review a safety plan with your children and practice the plan of action before you shop at a large retail outlet, such as the Mall of New Hampshire, to avoid separation
Other home safety and crime prevention tips include:
- Keeping a light on at home while you travel
- Cancel mail/newspaper delivery or have a neighbor collect mail for you if you are gone for an extended period of time
- Avoid leaving large boxes, such as televisions, computers or other electronics, on the curb awaiting trash pick-up
For more crime prevention and safety tips, you can go to the Police Department’s official site.
You’re one click away! Sign up for our free eNewsletter and never miss another thing.