Chimney fire at 900 Degrees causes $5K in damage, temporarily closes eatery

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Fire crews responded to a chimney fire on May 16 at 900 Degrees pizzeria. Photo/Jeffrey Hastings

MANCHESTER, NH – Manchester fire crews responded to 50 Dow St. just after 10 a.m. on May 16 for a reported chimney fire at 900 Degrees Pizza restaurant.

According to District Fire Chief Michael Gamache, the wood-fired pizza oven was lit and smoke from the fire consumed the entire restaurant area. Fire crews arrived and discovered that the metal chimney, which runs from the pizza oven through the restaurant to the roof where it exits, was on fire. Fire crews had to dismantle part of the metal chimney to extinguish the fire.


The Manchester Health Department was summoned to the scene where they will guide the restaurant owners through the steps that need to be taken to reopen.

The cause is attributed to a mechanical failure of the smoke evacuation system.

Damage is estimated at $5000. The restaurant will have to remain closed until repairs are made and the requirements from the health department have been satisfied. Owners were on scene and hope to reopen for business on May 17.

 

Support Local News! Send Money!