Cause of fire at Henriette Street apartment caused by careless smoking

Sign Up For Our FREE Daily eNews!


MANCHESTER, NH – On July 16 at about 3:30 p.m. firefighters responded to a fire in an unoccupied apartment on the second floor of a 40-unit rooming house at 48 Henriette St. Firefighters evacuated the residents who did not self-evacuate then advanced to the second floor to extinguish the fire. Crews remained on the scene for a period of time to evacuate the smoke from the entire second floor so the occupants of the building could return to their apartments.

The fire alarm system worked to alert the occupants of the fire, some evacuated on their own. The rest were assisted by arriving firefighters. The cause of the fire was determined to be careless disposal of smoking materials, which caused the mattress in the room to burn.

Damage is estimated at about $2,500.

About this Author

manchester-fire-department

Manchester Fire Department

The mission of the Manchester Fire Department is to provide the City of Manchester with superior customer service and integrated emergency response to any situation that threatens the life, safety and well-being of people and property.

Facebook