Careless smoking on porch sparks Bremer Street fire

Sign Up For Our FREE Daily eNews!

File photo
File photo

MANCHESTER, NH – At approximately 6:30 a.m. on Jan, 24 Manchester Fire Department dispatch received multiple 911 calls from passerby’s reporting a fire on the third floor of a residence at 88 Bremer St. Fire crews from the Amory Street station arrived two minutes after notification and encountered fire venting from the third-floor enclosed porch area. The occupants of the first and third floors, along with their pets, had already evacuated before crews arrived. The second-floor apartment was vacant.

screen-shot-2017-01-24-at-8-40-15-amThe fire crew from Station 6 advanced up to the third floor and encountered the enclosed porch fully involved with fire beginning to extend into the living area. The forward progress of the fire was halted and with the assistance of additional arriving crews the fire was extinguished.

Due to the aggressive fire attack, no occupants have been permanently displaced. All occupants were allowed to return to their apartment. The cause of the fire is determined to be accidental, the careless disposal of smoking materials on the third-floor porch.

One minor injury was reported and that person was evaluated by AMR at the scene, but refused transport to the hospital.

Damage to the building is estimated at about $10,000.

About Carol Robidoux 6697 Articles
Longtime NH journalist and publisher of ManchesterInkLink.com. Loves R&B, German beer, and the Queen City!