Careless smoking causes fire at Veranda Restaurant, does $25,000 in damage

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Firefighters outside the Veranda Restaurant, where careless smoking led to a fire Thursday afternoon, according to preliminary reports.

MANCHESTER, NH – The Veranda Restaurant was evacuated when a fire broke out Thursday afternoon at the Hanover Street eatery.

Manchester Fire dispatch received multiple simultaneous 911 calls in addition to an automatic alarm indicating a fire at 201 Hanover St. Fire crews from Central Station arrived one minute after dispatch and encountered the east side of the restaurant involved in flames.

The adjoining 30-by-20 foot carport area was fully ablaze and the fire had begun to advance into the occupied restaurant. A coordinated attack by the arriving fire crews  was carried out. The fire was attacked from two separate directions while additional crews searched and evacuated the restaurant. Additional crews provided suppression support in the form of ventilation. 

The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental, the careless disposal of smoking materials, according to District Chief Michael Gamache.

Damage is estimated at $25,000. The city health department was called in to work with restaurant staff to go over food safety issues following the fire.

About Carol Robidoux 5552 Articles
Journalist and editor of ManchesterInkLink.com, a hyperlocal news and information site for Manchester, NH.