Brothers arrested after a hit-and-walk-away accident outside police HQ

Brothers Jamie and Craig Martin were both arrested Monday after a brush with the law.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

MANCHESTER, NH — Two brothers were charged after an accident outside police headquarters in which the driver walked home after the crash, leaving his brother sleeping inside the truck.

Officer Matthew McDonald responded to a two-vehicle crash June 12 outside of police headquarters approximately 5:40 p.m. The victim of the hit-and-run stated the man driving a Chevy Silverado truck ran into the back end of her Honda Accord while she was stopped at a red traffic light on Valley Street, east of Maple Street.

The crash caused minor damage to both the Honda and the pick-up truck, but the operator, identified as Craig Martin, 52, walked away from the area leaving his brother, Jamie Martin, 56, also of Manchester, behind. 

Officer McDonald attempted to wake Jamie Martin, who immediately became defensive, swearing at the officer. Martin continued with a profanity-laced tirade while demanding the officer leave him alone because he was not the operator of the vehicle. The officer asked him several times to refrain from using foul language, as many bystanders had gathered on scene. Martin opened his passenger door on two occasions and struck the officers hip. 

The second time he opened his door Officer McDonald removed him from the vehicle and placed him into custody without further incident. The officer was not injured as a result of being struck by the door. Jamie Martin was arrested and charged with disorderly conduct and simple assault.  He was released on $1,000 personal recognizance and is scheduled to appear in the 9th Circuit Court-Manchester on July 19, 2017.

Officer Derek Cataldo responded to the scene to assist with the crash investigation. Officer Cataldo concluded the driver of the truck was his brother, Craig Martin, 52. Cataldo visited Martin at his Somerville Street residence a short time later. Craig Martin opened the door to speak with the officers about the crash.

Officer Jack Dunleavy attempted to place him into custody when he turned away from the officers while pulling his hands toward his body in an attempt to evade arrest. He was charged with habitual offender (felony), conduct after an accident, and resisting arrest/detention. He was released on $1,000 cash/surety and is also scheduled to appear in the 9th Circuit Court-Manchester on July 19, 2017.