A gas leak and an apartment fire: Back-to-back calls for firefighters

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
File Photo

MANCHESTER, NH – City fire crews were kept busy Wednesday night, after back-to-back calls.

At 9:05 p.m. crews responded to 1207 Hanover St. for a reported gas leak in the warehouse area of a one-story commercial building that houses Lumber Liquidators and Cabinets to Go. There was an active leak at one of the overhead heaters. The pipe was struck by a forklift and was leaking at the elbow.


Fire crews secured ignition sources and turned off the power and gas to the building. The area was ventilated and the occupants were allowed back in once the building was safe to occupy. Damage was estimated at $500.

Within an hour of clearing that scene, fire crews were dispatched to 26 West Baker St. for a report of smoke coming from the first floor of a 2-story multi-family dwelling. The fire was located in the kitchen near the laundry area and was quickly extinguished by fire department personnel.


The fire is under investigation and appears to have started in a pile of clothes on the floor.

There was fire damage to the floor and wall area, and smoke damage throughout the apartment.

The Fire was contained to the area of origin. Damage is estimated at $2,000. The building is owned by Manchester Housing Authority.