11 people diplaced by Dubuque Street fire

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Photos by Jeffrey Hastings, Frame of Mind Photography

MANCHESTER, NH – A two-alarm fire caused heavy damage to a century-old apartment building on Dubuque Street late Thursday, displacing 11 residents.

Just before midnight on Dec. 4 fire crews were dispatched to 425 Dubuque St., where fire was visible from the second-floor upon arrival.

The building, home to three families, was searched to make sure all occupants were evacuated safely, which they were.

Because the building is more than 100 years old it had many void spaces that needed to be checked for hidden fire, officials said. Due to the amount of fire and smoke upon arrival and the cold temperature,  a second alarm was struck to get additional resources to the scene.

In all, six engines and three ladder trucks were on the scene, working to make sure neighboring homes were not affected by the blaze. The estimated damage is approximately $75,000, fire officials said.Screen Shot 2014-12-05 at 6.52.47 AM

All utilities to the building were disconnected and the building is uninhabitable. The Red Cross is assisting 5 adults and 3 children with services. In total, 11 occupants were displaced.

Manchester Fire Marshal’s office determined the cause was an electrical fire in the second floor bathroom ceiling.


Support Local News! Send Money!

About Carol Robidoux 5855 Articles
Longtime NH journalist and publisher of ManchesterInkLink.com. Loves R&B, German beer, and the Queen City!