Welcome Home: 90 NH Guardsmen returning from a year in the Middle East

Sign Up For Our FREE Daily eNews!

The 197th Field Artillery Brigade arrived stateside last week and are expected to return to NH Jan. 28 after a year in the Middle East supporting Operations Spartan Shield and Inherent Resolve.
The 197th Field Artillery Brigade arrived stateside last week and are expected to return to NH Jan. 28 after a year in the Middle East supporting Operations Spartan Shield and Inherent Resolve.

MANCHESTER, N.H. — It will be a joyful and emotional welcome home for more than 90 soldiers from New Hampshire National Guard’s 197th Field Artillery Brigade, who have returned  home after a year in the Middle East.

They arrived back in the U.S. last week at Fort Bliss, Texas, and are due to arrive in Manchester late Saturday afternoon.


UPDATE: Click here for a photo gallery of the homecoming by Jeffrey Hastings.


Guard spokesman Lt. Col. Greg Heilshorn told NHPR the homecoming will be a mix of pride and relief.

“There’s a great sense of accomplishment. There’s a great sense of being part of a bigger effort. There’s also that sense of relief that you’re finally back home with your family and friends. A year away from your family is a long time for anybody,” Heilshorn said.

They were deployed in support of Operation Spartan Shield and Operation Inherent Resolve.

There is a welcome home reception for the brigade scheduled for Saturday at 5 p.m. at the Manchester Armory, located at 771 Canal St.

About this Author

Carol Robidoux

PublisherManchester Ink Link

Longtime NH journalist and publisher of ManchesterInkLink.com. Loves R&B, German beer, and the Queen City!